- Egg yolk 1
- Olive oil 50mls – 100 mls
- Garlic 1 – 2 cloves (depends how ‘garlicky’ you want for your sauce) crushed
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Salt to taste
- Dijon mustard ¼ - ½ tsp
- Chopped parsley.
- Separate the egg yolk from the white and place the egg yolk into a bowl
Have the rest of the ingredients on hand.
- Gradually add the oil.
- Do this very slowly so that the egg yolk and oil mix (emulsification) doesn’t curdle.
- Squeeze a lemon (you may not need all of the juice) into the bowl. At this stage the mix will become thinner. Add the rest of the ingredients. Test for taste and texture.
- Chicken breast 500g
- Breadcrumbs 1 – 1 ½ cups
- Flour ½ cup
- Egg yolk 2
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lay the flour on a plate
- To the right of that plate place a bowl and crack an egg (both yolk and white) into it.
- To the right of that bowl, place a plate and put in the breadcrumbs.
- To the right of the plate of breadcrumbs place an empty plate.
- Season the egg yolk and whisk thoroughly.
- Cut the chicken breast into nice portions and ensure that they are easy to place in the fry pan.
- Use a meat tenderiser (hammer) to beat down the pieces so that they are of equal thickness.
- Using your left hand, put each chicken piece through the flour and egg wash and then into the bread crumb mix.
- Use your right hand to turn each piece around in the breadcrumb mix and then on to the spare plate.
- Use a non stick fry pan to place on a high heat on the stove
- Add vegetable, canola or Cobram extra version olive oil (this has a high smoke point) – enough to coat the base of the pan.
You will know that the oil is hot when you see ripples in it.
- Gently place the schnitzel pieces into the pan (away from you).
- Cook the first side to a nice brown golden colour.
- Turn over to do the same.
- Once the second side is also a nice brown golden colour, turn down the heat.
- Use a digital thermometer (on the low heat) to gently bring the temperature of the chicken breast pieces to 55 – 65 degrees C.
- The skill is in the reaching of the temperature without over browning the exterior of the meat. The low heat helps to achieve this.
- Remove the chicken and let rest for about 5 minutes.
- Serve with the aioli sauce.